Re: [IP] Re: doctor says no...what to do?

> In a message dated 2/6/99 10:13:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> << > Well my doctor called me and said
>  > that he didn't think I would need it. I was crushed! I would like
>  > some advice on what I should do next. I really like my doctor a
>  lot. > I really thought he would give me the ok...I really just
>  don't know > what I should do next.
>  Get a new doc. Or maybe ask him to walk a day in your shoes
>   Michael >>
> Michael, I have read your responses to many others over the last
> couple of weeks, and I think you must have been very tired when you
> answered this one! If not, then 10 lashes with a wet noodle to you!
> I guess your 2 suggestions might make a difference.  But who's to
> say the next doctor won't have the same outdated attitude?
It is possible that the next doc could be the same way, but there is
an old saying:

"you don't get anything you don't ask for"

> Realistically, unless he is also diabetic, how could he POSSIBLY
> wear shoes that any of us here in this forum have to wear every
> day??

I'm sure if he though about it a little bit he would decide perhaps
he would not like your life and maybe be a bit more cooporative.
He could, for instance, take a 10 or 20 unit dose of N in the morning
and zip off to work. What fun that would be, especially he didn't
have a snack. I'm not being snide. He sounds like one of the docs
discussed here frequently. Your alive, that's enough -- but it's not.
He clearly has not considered your "quality of life" issues and
thinks he's done his job by giving you a regiemn that allows you to
continue life.
I have no apologies about critisicism of a physician that say NO to
patient that is clearly trying to take steps to improve there medical
condition when they have a chronic disease.  "Old" thinking is the
single greatest impediment to modern treatment of diabetes --

 I say again -- if your doctor will not
cooperate -- get a new doc.