Re: Subject: [IP] Re: carb. counting & the pump

In a message dated 2/7/99 3:40:13 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  now that I'm
 on the pump I feel such freedom that I know I'm indulging and bolusing to
 offset.  Logical to me but when I asked my doc if I had license to eat
 whatever he said "NO!"  >>

My gut reaction (no pun intended) to this is that your doc is the "diabetes
police." My theory is that, when "normal" people eat whatever they want, their
bodies automatically release insulin to cover the rise in sugar: We can pretty
much do the same thing mechanically. Admittedly, I'm feeling a bit grouchy
today, but I get tired of other people telling me what I "should" and
"shouldn't" do -- when they're not eating healthy and exercising all the time
as *they* "should," either. If I want to eat whatever I want, and I can
control my BGs at the same time by knowing how much insulin to bolus to cover
it, it's nobody's business but mine. And I'll say here that I'm not a "junk-
food junkie" -- I usually eat healthy, balanced meals. However, not always.
<g> But the bottom line is that, DM or not, it's my body, my life and my
decision to make.