Re: [IP] Re: carb. counting & the pump

Sam Skopp wrote:
> At 09:11 AM 2/7/1999  email @ redacted wrote:
 Of course my bg was getting low.....I could feel it coming.  I
> >had lifesavers in my pocket...did I eat them no I went to the bakery instead
> >:).  Why eat lifesavers when you can have a donut :) actually I ate 2 donuts.
> >What is wrong with me?  Why can't I eat the right thing?  Is there anyone
> here that does the same thing?
> You ain't alone.... and I can speak from personal experience. I think when
> your BG's get low your thought processes get a little skewed.

Not necessarily. Your body's natural respomse to a need for glucose is
hunger. This isn't related to thought processes, it's just basic for survival.

As your BG's
> drop you naturally feel very hungry and you want REAL food... not some
> silly little life-savers.

Yes, but when you THINK about it, a few little Life-Savers will raise the bg
enough to keep the brain working, but they do it NOW, not sometime later
as the "real food" often does. Eating any old thing when low is
counter-productive, not only doesn't it solve the low bg problem fast enough,
so the body will still over-respond with a glycogen dump, but it also raises the
bg even more later.

That's why I always want to respond to a low with 4 or 5 Life-Savers: it works
and I don't bounce high later, provided I treated it soon enough.

Ted Quick