[IP] Re: carb. counting & the pump

Karen -
  I can't speak for everyone else, but yes, we actually count carbs at each
meal with Amy. She does 99% of it herself, just having us check it (at our
insistence). At home, it's much easier for her to figure out her carbs. If
it's out of a box, she just reads the label. If it's from scratch, we write
down the carbs for each ingredient in the recipe and add them all up and
divide by the # of servings we make. Away from home, yes, it is more of a
guessing game, but one in which you can get pretty darn good at. I'm amazed at
the number of things she knows the carb counts on - does that make my mind old
and forgetful? As far as eating healthier. I have to be honest here, don't I?!
Well, since she's gone on the pump, I would not say she is eating healthier
overall. Since she can be more liberal with her food, she doesn't always make
great choices, and sometimes we have to pull in the reins just a tad. I hate
to do it too much, as I love seeing her so happy and carefree with the pump.
Carb counting is easy - at least it is for Amy, and makes life with her pump
very, very "normal".

Sue Tappendorf
Mom of Amy, 12, pumping since June '98