Re: [IP] Re: carb. counting & the pump

Hi Karen

I'm new on the list, so if you "old-timers" will excuse me, I'll attempt to
answer some questions:

In a message dated 2/6/99 7:35:15 PM US Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted

<<  I'm starting the pump on
 Monday and I really do not understand what you all are saying????? square
 waves, temp waves, basal 4 x's a day? >>

I'd say before you start on the pump, you should be watching the video and
reading the manual that was (I assume) sent with it. Play with the buttons.
Familiarize yourself with it as much as possible. I don't know what kind of
pump you have, but if it's a Disetronic, don't worry about the square waves: D
doesn't "do" square waves. On the "basal 4 times a day," people run different
basal "profiles." At some times of the day, our bodies need more or less
insulin than at other times, so we run varying rates at varying times of the
day depending on our personal needs. I run 5 profiles a day.

<< I don't know what my bg is at night.  If I feel low at 3am I drink juice.
 one every told me to check my bgs at 12am and 3am.  If ever I felt low during
 the night I only drank juice and checked myself in the am. >>

When you first go on the pump, you'll be checking your BGs a *lot* -- probably
including midnight at 3 a.m. That's so you basal profiles can be determined.
As for not being told to check at midnight and 3 a.m.? Weren't you ever told
to check you BGs if you felt like you were low?
<< People on the site said.....I feel free after going on the pump.....I can
 anything......Do you count your carbs on anything you want to eat and send in
 the insulin?  Do you actually figure out the carbs or are some of you just
 guessing like me.  Speaking for myself I can drink a few glasses of Bailey's,
 have a sinful dinner and shoot in the humalog and 2 hours later get a pretty
 good reading (lets say 144). >>

The first few times I eat something new, I count the carbs and bolus the
amount of insulin it takes to cover them. If I eat something new (say at a
restaurant), I give it the best guess I can, then continue to adjust each
succeeding time I eat that same dish. For the most part, carb-counting is so
automatic for me that I know how many carbs are in most foods. As for the
second part of your paragraph, some people have more trouble controlling their
DM than others. Sounds like you have it fairly easy. Good for you!
<< I don't know...... you all talk a good game but then I read....one has
 leg cut off, one is going blind and other has kidney problems.  This is
 scary stuff. >>

I can only speculate here, but I would guess that many people had DM long
before self-monitoring, before it was determined that multiple injections and
tight control were the best way to prevent complications, some were possibly
in denial for many years, some were bound to get complications no matter how
hard they tried and some have health problems other than DM that also cause
problems. The only thing we can do is the best we can and hope that things
turn out OK. "The best we can" as far as I'm concerned is to keep myself in
the best control as much as possible. I don't think any of us are merely
"talking a good game." No matter where we've been in the past, we're trying
now to lower our risk of further complications.
<< So, getting back to my questions.  Do you eat really healthy? Do you carb
 count exactly for the meal or guess count, like me :). >>

Sometimes I eat "healthy," sometimes I don't. Depends on my work schedule and
personal attitude at the moment. Most of the time balanced meals sound good
and I eat them if I can, or do the best I can if I can't. (I work on some
pretty heavy deadlines and can't always do what's probably best for me.)
Sometimes I just need chocolate. :-)  Sometimes I carb-count exactly for the
meal and sometimes I have no idea how many carbs are in the meal, so I do the
best I can and adjust later.