[IP] re: unexplained lows on a D pump

	At a recent pumpers support group that I facilitate, this has come up a few
times.  I promised I would post the question to a much larger support group
with a greater number of D users and report back on the finding next month.
The 2 Disetronic users in our group, both men in their early 30's, have
noted similar difficulties (as Kasey and Kayla mentioned) with unexplained
episodes of hypoglycemia.  These pumpers note that the episodes are long -
sometimes lasting almost all day, and do not respond in the "usual way" to
the "usual" amounts of carb that it typically takes to treat a low.  The
following day's basal rates are right back to where they need to be,
*without* the odd occurring lows.  These extended hypo's do not seem to have
any predictability.  The entire group, including the pumpers to whom this
was happening, were concerned that this seems to suggest an overdelivery.
None of the MiniMed users have experienced this same phenomenon.  I
personally have had significantly fewer lows than ever on a pump and the few
times that I have run lower than target, it is always relative to
hormones/menstrual cycles, is somewhat predictable, and quickly and easily
fixed with basal adjustments.  Have any other pumpers (especially D pumpers)
observed these types of unpredictable lows?  Any med professionals working
with pumpers seen or heard of this before?  Any thoughts on whether this
could be a mechanical or a physiologic issue??  I'd like to provide these
pumpers with some answers, if there are any.  Thanks for your feedback!

Delaine M. Wright, MS, CDE