Re: [IP] Not sure what to do,,,,

Barb Pisut wrote:
I have been tossing back and forth the idea of
> going on the pump, right now I take two injections 40Nph in the a.m. and
> p.m., and I'm on a sliding scale (of R)if it goes any higher than 150. I
> don't have any problems with giving myself injections or anything else,
> but my doctor told me that this was so much simplier to use, I am still
> trying to figure out how though, how do you know when to give yourself
> another injection, do you work with the doctors on that or do you test
> and then decide?

The pump is simpler because it gives you a steady low rate (known as a
"basal rate") that is always giving you Regular or Humalog (faster version of
R) according to a schedule you program into it. There is NO slow insulin
involved, such as the NPH you take now, so there is a LOT more freedom
in eating times and less need for snacks to balance the insulin.

Then doctor should help you get started, but you have to test frequently
and learn how to change settings as needed. It's also recommended to
use the "carb counting" method, which you may not yet be using, so that you
can judge easily how much insulin to infuse (not inject).

The infusion set (hose connecting the pump with the infusion base on your
abdomen [or elsewhere]) stays in for several days at a time, usually 3 though
it varies, and the pump will fed the basal rate all the time, you just need to
decide how much to infuse before a meal, and punch it into the pump keyboard.

First I was shocked to learn that I had
> diabetes in the first place, there is no history of it in my family,

It's not really that unusual. Studies have found that only 6% of Type 1
diabetics actually have a Type 1 relative, though Type 2s appear no to
be mostly genetically connnected. Rather a reverse from what used to be
"common knowledge"!

> then when I got use to giving myself injections (stomach), she wants to
> switch me to something else. I guess I'm just grasping for any sane
> reason to switch, she thinks it's right, but I just have to make sure, I
> know it will be something I have to live with for the rest of my life.

The real key is that the pump is SO much more flexible than any shot routine.
Now you need to eat on a fairly rigid schedule and may still bounce around
your bg chart a lot. With the pump you can usually smooth out the chart no
matter what variations your day contains, and it's the most powerful tool for
proper diabetes control, IMHO. I've been a Type 1 for 42 years and got my pump
5 years ago. Believe me it's SO much better than anything that shots could
ever achieve for me.

Ted Quick