From: <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 1999 8:03 AM
Subject: [IP] First Week of pumping

:Here's the first week of pumping, any suggestions or ideas would be
:I'm also keeping in mind that this process is not an overnight miracle.
:I had to spend 24 hours in the hospital for training and monitoring.
:was great and my sugars stayed in the 90's all day.  They started to rise
:the late evening and all through the night (200-250). My doctor raised my
:basal 1/10 of a unit, mind you as of right now I only have one basal rate.
:Went home midday Tuesday, sugars still in the 200-250 range.  Went back to
:work Wednesday, still in the same range, I raised my basal another 1/10 of
:unit at lunch time.  Sugars started to drop all afternoon (I felt horrible,
:bad headache and nasty nausea all afternoon)  Went back up to the 200-250
:range in the late evening and all through the night (I'm testing at
:and at 3am)  Spoke to my doctor on Thursday and he raised the basal again
:another 2/10 of a unit, I suggested another profile for the early morning
:hours both today and on Tuesday in the hospital, he wanted to stick with
:one for now until they were lower.  (Again I felt horrible, bad headache
:nasty nausea all afternoon) I had a follow up appointment on Friday and he
:raised it another 2/10 of a unit (it's now 1.7 per hour) and wants to see
:sugars on Monday.
:It's a little frustrating since I thought on the pump things would be more
:under control, but then again maybe it's just a longer process then I
:it would be.....
:Of course this pump has become very entertaining to.  I had a mishap
:when changing the site, the tubing got caught on the knob of the dresser
and I
:was turning around to change channels on the TV, ripped out the new
:placed site.  A little emotional I call one of the girls I work with and
:explained I would be late.  By the time my story got to the office it had
:turned into I was trying to change the channels on the TV with my new
:Thanks for listening, I've had great help from my trainer, who has been a
:literal God send!!!!
:Insulin-Pumpers website http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/