[IP] Look at what I've learned

I posted my first message in this group on Feb 2. I was discouraged then;
now I have been encouraged. This has not only happened from messages sent
to me but to others in this group. Some great advice has been given. Such
great support! I hope I can contribute my share.

Fran Baumgartner wrote:

Someone once said to me, "If you didn't hate it, I'd worry about you."

"Why do we get angry at ourselves? I don't get it, for it only makes things
worse. But I still do the same thing, although after this many years I
catch myself and tell my brain to stop it. I am doing the best I can and I
try very very hard with diet and exercise."

Our mistakes or shortcomings are not always intentional. We need to give
ourselves "a break".

Ginny Kloth wrote:

"When pain is there and there are other health things that go into flare or
are constantly causing problems it is natural for the blood sugars to go
up...and even do so when keeping on food plan."

"And I know many will say it is ok to be upset but that only increases BGs
too. Try to get through one day at a time...I do that every day and am
thankful I have had that day...but it is tough...."

"As for being down...sometimes medications can help that also. There isn't
anything wrong with being down, but if you are down too long then it can
become more of a problem."

Linda Zottoli wrote:

I still think of home blood gulcose monitoring as a life saver for me, and
the flexibility of the pump has made things a lot easier--it just seems
that I have to flex it a whole lot. I guess I just try to think of each
test or bolus or change of basal as a new opportunity to deal with it
better (except for those days when I just can't stand the whole thing)."

Vicki Mc Donald wrote:

"Stop looking at high numbers as a sign of failure!!!! The numbers only
offer data to be USED in the treatment of diabetes...I look at the numbers
and use them to help me figure my next course of action. Low numbers I
figure how many SweeTarts I need to eat; high numbers, I figure how much
more I need to bolus. And these things change from day to day."

"My plan is to eat according to the diet I've prescribed for myself 5 out
of 7 days each week. Two days each week I let myself enjoy whatever I want.
It keeps my weight well in control and I don't feel deprived of anything."

How to be busy and still manage Diabetes--"I program (and carefully
schedule because in winter I wouldn't go anything!) exercise (Tues/Thurs
5:00-6:30), social stuff (Wed 7-9:30 p.m.) financial planning (Mon 5:30 -
7:00 p.m.) and any little volunteer stuff I LIKE to do. You need time to
things that make YOU feel good! I even schedule in hot baths with aromatic
candles, glass of wine [Diet Coke!] and soft music! (It's cheaper than
therapy) Try to find some things that feed your soul, your inner child."

Randall Winchester wrote:

"...you're not failing. This isn't a game and we don't keep score."

"I have learned that laughter helps. Do something fun, just for fun. Don't
sweat the 350 bg - get annoyed, fix the problem, and go on. If it happens
again the next day, change the basal rate, and go on. Every day is itself a
victory and a challenge. Look at the long term averages of your numbers,
and look at how the graph trends. Are most of the numbers clustered
somewhere around your target? Great. If they aren't, what can you change to
get them there?"

"We've all got a story to tell, and sharing with a group that understands
helps both the speaker (writer) and listener (reader)."

Ted Quick wrote:

"You are NOT failing, you're finding opportunity's for improvement! It's
all in how you look at it, there aren't good and bad tests, just lows and
highs to attend to as needed. Don't let it get you down, just do better so
you feel better."

Joanne Spotten wrote:

"Remember that the pump is just the best way to deliver insulin. It can't
eliminate all the variables that affect bgs. I am working on being kinder
to myself when bgs don't behave."

Jule L. Fausto:

"...But, I won't give up..."

sincerely sue

P.S. For those who have the problem of exercising with the pump and getting
the tape to stick when you sweat,  I just learned that if you rub
anti-perspirant on the area of skin except for the exact spot for injection
that it does a great job of keeping the tape attached during a heavy workout.

Sue Ellen Eggett
Email: email @ redacted
Phone: (801)423-1993