RE: [IP] when to change basal rates

If you can pin down, when her blood sugars start to rise, you will want to
use the multi-basal function of the pump to begin a higher basal at that
time. Further you will probably need to run that basal rate until her blood
sugars seem to return to normal.

A good way of determining this is to start testing blood sugars q 2 hrs
after bedtime and until the am this will give you some idea when the BG
starts to rise.

Remember when adjusting basal rates NEVER raise or lower the basal rate more
than or less than 0.1 u/hr.  You should keep the new rate in effect for 2 -
3 days and do extra monitoring to assess changes.

(No Changes in Basal rates should be attempted without first consulting with
your physician or other health care professional)

Hope this helps a bit.

CJ Ferry, RN, BSN, CPT