Re: [IP] incorrect glucometer reading

Janine Shea wrote:
> I have found that no matter what meter I have had, I sometimes get bizarre
> readings.  If you think it is strange and doesn't mesh with how you feel,
> always test again.  The last time it happened to me, it read really high -
> 300's.  I didn't feel high but sometimes don't.  I was about to give myself
> a Humalog bolus when I decided to check again.  I redid the test twice and
> my blood sugar was 140's.  If I had taken the insulin, I would have been in
> big trouble.  I don't know how often meters are inaccurate, but it pays to
> check.
> Janine
> type 1, 19 years
> pump, 14 years
> Vicki wrote:
> >This a.m., when I awoke, I tested my blood sugar as usual.  It read 29.
> >Now, I have some hypoglycemic unawareness, but i was sleeping soundly,
> >no vision problems, no feeling of confusion or anxiety.  So i tested
> >again.  This time my reading was 112.  Much more in keeping with the way
> >I felt. (So I tested a third time and got a reading of 119.)
> >So here's my question:
> >How often do these meters give us incorrect data?  If I had gone just
> >with the reading, i would have filled myself with SweeTarts and driven
> >my next reading through the roof!
> >I use the Accucheck Advantage and expect reliability.  Am I being naive?

Also please emember that there are other factors that can affect the
reading.  With cappillary fill strips (Elite, DEX, Comfort Curve) you
must FILL the strip--which is relatively easy due to the small amt
needed--or you will receive an inaccurate reading. Some that use color
reflectance (OneTouch is an example) must not be used in direct bright
light or dim light.

Just a few of the factors.

Mike Maturen