Re: [IP] incorrect glucometer reading

Vicki, I used the Advantage for over 2 years checking bg's roughly 8 times
a day and a similar thing would happen every once in a while.  I  relied on
my feelings to tell me whether it was accurate or not.  I think blood
glucose meters are great but we still need to rely on our senses as a
backup to compare with our bg readings.

>This a.m., when I awoke, I tested my blood sugar as usual.  It read 29.
>Now, I have some hypoglycemic unawareness, but i was sleeping soundly,
>no vision problems, no feeling of confusion or anxiety.  So i tested
>again.  This time my reading was 112.  Much more in keeping with the way
>I felt. (So I tested a third time and got a reading of 119.)
>So here's my question:
>How often do these meters give us incorrect data?  If I had gone just
>with the reading, i would have filled myself with SweeTarts and driven
>my next reading through the roof!
>I use the Accucheck Advantage and expect reliability.  Am I being naive?

Tara Dufour
Hargreaves, Charbonneau & Associates