Re: [IP] Urine testing

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Meld2jpd wrote:

> << They don't normally do blood screens as a routine part of an office
>  visit. Anyway, the kids would go beserk. By the time most folks think
>  something is wrong, the kid is spilling plenty of glucose anyway.
>
>  Michael >>
>
> Micheal,
>
> When I first suspected diabetes in my then 4 year old(he was drinking and
> urinating ALOT), his urine was tested and it came back negative for ketones
> and sugars..our doctor told us it was behavioral and sent us home...The
> threshold for blood sugars to spill into the urine is 300(clearly diagnosable
> as diabetes)...If our doctor had just done a blood sugar check( a simple
> finger prick wouldn't make a child go bezerk), our child wouldn't have landed
> up in the ICU at children's hospital for three days..He was diagnosed a week
> and a half later with blood sugars of 1200...
>
> I would have rather he'd gone a little bezerk a week and a half earlier.
>
> Mary

The threshold for glucose in your urine if you have normal kidneys is
around 160-180 give or take a little. A type 1 diabetic who still has
active beta cells will only spill glucose after a meal or intake of carbo
above the threshold of his ability to still produce insulin. Basically,
the bg's will go high and then return to relatively normal for a while.
As the disease progresses and more beta cells die, it becomes more and
more difficult for the body to produce enough insulin to do this. It
depends a lot on 'when' the urine test is conducted and how far the
disease has progressed.

The point is, there isn't much that can be done at any stage of diabetes
onset with the present medical knowledge. As far as I know there is no
damage done initially that is not done anyway. So what is the point of
screening everyone with a blood test that won't stop the disease?
It can be detected soon enough.

Sorry to be pessamistic or whatever. But I can't really say that it would
have made any difference at all to know a few weeks or months early that
my daughter was diabetic.  She's still diabetic and she is doing OK. I
don't screen my other 4 kids, just watch for the classic symptoms. Yes, I
have done urine dips a few times when they get up in the middle to the
night to pee.  Must have been behaviorial. It stopped after a couple of
weeks and the urine test were negative (both of them).

Michael