Re: [IP] Infusion sets

John Neale wrote:

>I find sometimes that when I take out the infusion set, a small amount of
>clear fluid forms around the entrance hole. Is this normal? I'm using straight
>Humalog with Sof-Set. At first I thought this was body fluid, but today I
>tasted it and it definitely tastes of insulin. Several units-worth sometimes.
>Is this a case of poor absorbtion? I thought humalog was absorbed through the
>fat layer very quickly. I change before giving a bolus.

It is insulin.  I take a 2.5 unit bolus to make up for this.  Some people
leave the old set in for several hours in order to let the body absorb this
(at least I thin that is the theory).  I don't use Humalog, so I don't know
about the absorbtion.

>I'm changing the set every 3 or 4 days. I left it in for 5 days once 'as an
>experiment' and got a small infection. Do you reckon I should try out the H &
>R mixing? If I can extend the life of a set, it would be great, because in
>Britain the health service won't pay for these things, so it's all coming out
>of my thin bank account. Dumb question maybe, but how do you mix it? Do you do
>just draw the 2 up into the reservoir and let it mix itself or do you prepare
>a vial of mixed insulin?

I use straight Humulin R (regular).  I usually get a least 6 days to each
Sof-set site and have been doing so since Sof-sets were introduced.  We had
a big discussion about this and some people can go longer and some can't
get 2 days.   I put my insertion technique up on my home page because
people kept asking me how I did it.  It is at the mappa_mundi address after
my name below.

It is horrible that you are paying for all this yourself!  More short
sightedness on the part of government and insurance companies.

Janine
type 1, 18 years
pump, 13 years

Vancouver, BC, Canada