Re: [IP] Re:Call Dr. ???(l-o-n-g post)

Carol:
    In July 1996, 3 months after Melissa started pumping, she experienced what
we thought was impending DKA.  We raced to the local ER where we endured a
frustrating 3 hour ordeal - which you can read about below..........
     The next day I got in touch with a local pump-wearing CDE who sees
private pts. & she's been meeting with him monthly ever since for
"tutoring/fine-tuning" sessions. Bottom line: there are innumerable reasons
for "weird bgs", but the critical element is self-management & intervention.
I'm "cutting & pasting" here what I'd previously submitted to another website
for Kids on Pumps as a result of the aforementioned episode-

      My best piece of advice is to find a credible pump trainer whom you can
meet with regularly
until you can do your own trouble-shooting....July 7 last year(actually 1996)
Melissa wound up in the E.R.
because we panicked over posssible impending DKA - The ER staff was
essentially
useless, sorry to say - They even brought down a pediatric resident who had
just finished a
stint in Cincinnati and he had NEVER seen a kid on a pump - He assumed it was
surgically
implanted - so of course we wound up giving him a crash course in diabetes -
We were there
about 3 hours, during which time all they did was hydrate her to the tune of
an $1100 bill -
including my personal favorite charge: $50.00 for using THEIR one-touch meter
even
though ours was right there!! The problem stemmed from us not realizing that
by the time
you get a NO DELIVERY alarm, you've already missed 2 to 5 units - which at .6/
hr could
have been a lot of hours without any insulin.....
After meeting with Gary Scheiner C.D.E. several times, the next time Melissa
was in the
high 300s, we knew to a) give a shot immediately b) guzzle water c) change out
the infusion
set..... We didn't even bother checking for ketones, because I just assumed
they'd be there
& the immediate correction steps were working.... So we've managed to handle
potential
problems this way - She also checks 6-8 times /day to be sure everything's OK.
We also
have been pretty successful with figuring out WHY there was a problem such as
1) the time
the tubing wrapped so tightly around her body while she was sleeping that it
just snapped!!
2) the time she was doing her homework on her bed, cutting out current events
&
accidentally cut through her tubing which we discovered when she woke up in
the middle of
the night having to pee!! 3) the time the COMFORT ( also called TENDERS)
infusion set
didn't snap together properly & separated while she was working at camp....
Because these incidents are fortunately infrequent, she now knows that she
MUST check
anytime she wakes up in the middle of the night, because there's usually a
reason for it...
Also, whenever Melissa wears short skirts or dresses, she wears Calvin Klein
bodyshapers
( sort of like super stretchy teeny bike shorts) & puts her pump alongside her
inner thigh.
The body shaper holds it in place, but if she's out too late, you can read
"Minimed" on her
skin when she removes it!! Free advertising!
Oh yea - the all-time best pump anecdote: One day one of her 8th grade
classmates saw her
take out her pump before lunch ( she keeps it in her
pocket) & saw the SEL and ACT button and thought she was calling her broker to
tell him
to SELL stocks!!! Cute, huh?

Renee
email @ redacted   (by the way, this was posted at