Re: [IP] What does your bottle of Humalog look like?

On 21 Feb 98 at 22:44, email @ redacted wrote:

> To all the Humalog users out there:
>
> What does your bottle of Humalog look like?
>
> I opened a bottle today and have set it aside because it "looks different".
>
> There is no bar code on the side of the label. All bottles of insulin I
> have received in the past several years have bar codes on the labels - even
> Velosolin.
>
> There is a "label" of sorts applied over the area on the bottle where the
> bar code normally would be, colored black. It appears to have the
> expiration date and lot number on it. This label appears to have been
> placed on the bottle at a later time, as it is a separate piece of label
> material. The expiration date seems to be Oct 1, 1999. The lot number looks
> like 1MU29M. The box and packing material seem fine.

Sounds strange - I just checked my supplies and they have bar codes
on them just like the R and U.  After looking I went ahead and threw
away the R - it expired some time ago.

> When I snapped the plastic protective cap off the top of the bottle, the
> opening in the metal piece of the cap is oval shaped, and the metal piece
> of the cap is "distended" - kind of looks like the rubber stopper would pop
> out if the metal piece of the cap were not there.
>
> In over 41 years of insulin use, I have not seen a bottle like this before.
> I'm not too worried, since I have another supply of insulin, but am real
> curious. I sent a message to Eli Lilly but am not too hopeful for a
> response. I don't want to turn the bottle back in to the pharmacy, in case
> Lilly does respond and asks for more details.

I've heard about counterfit medicines before.  My pharmacist said
they've run into them several times by noticing some little oddity in
packaging.  I've often wondered if some of the variability in
"imitations" instead of the real thing...  I bet if you mention to
Lilly that you are afraid you got a counterfit they'd get back to you
real quickly...

> If folks feel that responses to the list would consume too much time and
> space, please e mail me privately.
> Bob Burnett
>
> mailto:email @ redacted

Randall Winchester