[IP] Re: Wearing A Pump

Buddy '-)   email @ redacted

>This is in response to the comments generated from Judy's profile:
>
>I hear a great deal from members telling other people how they are going to
>have this almost metaphysical life changing event by wearing a pump. While
the
>changes have been fantastic and I wouldn't ever want to go back to
injections
>. . .
>
>I didn't have the feeling of ephoria during or after the first two weeks. I
>also went through a stage of hating the pump and hating my diabetes. I
wanted
>to throw the damned thing against the wall.
>
>I often send a note of caution to people considering the pump, especially
>parents of diabetics . . . this is not a cure, it is simply the most
efficient
>way of receiving insulin available, you still must maintain diet, exercise
and
>insulin.

    I'm for that. I think all prospective patients should be advised of all
the pro's and con's. Here again, the more you learn the better your control.
Keep a mental note of all the new things you have learned since starting on
the pump. . . .  I also might add here that youngsters are going to "cheat".
What kid will not break down sooner or later and "sneak" a Snicker's, or
Oreo's? Once they learn how to count CHO's and bolus enough Humalog to cover
it they are flying! Education again is the answer!

>Although my desire for control has improved drastically due to the pump, I
now
>have to test more than I ever did,(EDUCATION) I have to watch my food
intake, my exercise
>and insulin much closer, of course, b/c I'm in tighter control.

   If the truth be known you should have been on this "tight" control before
you started on the pump. Right ? You were probably not giving the attention
you needed to have "good control". Don't misunderstand me Katie, I'm not
criticising you for anything you did or did not do. I do think that getting
started on pump thearpy requires diabetics to understand the mechanics of
their disease a little more than maybe they did before.
    Myself, I always checked my BG at least three or four times daily before
starting on the pump. Most of the time I felt "drug out" from the effects of
NPH insulin. I can remember one trip to the doctor/hospital/emergency room
when my BG was out of control and over 400. I was simiconcious at the time.
When I finally came around and the feeling i had from my BG dropping to
normal was FANTASTIC! This happened in just a couple of hours, you know. . .
.  This is the same feeling I have now with only regular insulin in my
system! It feels GREAT!!!! What else can you say? If you keep your
sugar/insulin/exercise balanced, and "walk the chalk line" you will feel
great. The pump does allow you to eat and splurge a little without
cratering.
    You can do all of this on MDI's. It all amounts to education. The
smarter you are about diabetes and it's control, and the better you practice
it, the better you will feel and the healthier you will be. (How about this
Rose Lulla?)

>These things are not bad but the pump is not a cure. I believe, many people
>sort of think of it that way before getting on it.  Bottom line is that I
>spend more time and energy focused on diabetes than I ever have.

    And I'll bet you feel better for it????? Most of us are grown and
realize this is not a cure. It will suffice until that day comes though. I
am more than thankful that I have my pump and I will continue to spread the
word that it is the only way to go for any IDD I don't care how young. The
younger they learn the basic lesson that they have to take the best care
possible to avoid the complications of this disease the better.

Love ya Katie,

Buddy '-)  email @ redacted