[IP] Animals and low BG

Michelle Rands wrote:
> where can I get a hypo alert kitty...without the drool, of course...a > small nudge or meow, would do quite nice, thank you...does anyone else > have any other similar stories.

Actually I have several.  The cat that woke me up, several dogs that
would do the same, the birds that scream maniacally until I wake up, and
yes, even ferrets who start chasing my feet till I wake up when I get
low.  I'm not certain what alerts the animals, but the heart rate,
breathing, changed movement, sweating, probably a different smell,
ect... leave plenty of alerting mechanisms.  The key here is to get an
animal to respond reliably every single time that you get low.  I would
have to say that the dog was the most reliable.  At one point in time as
an experiment I programmed a home security device (computer based) to
call my parents when a button was pushed.  I was able to successfully
train my German Shepherd to push the button every time I got low.  This
was only after the dog with no training learned to get me glucose
tablets every time I got low.  One morning the dog woke me up drooling
in my mouth trying to shove the tablets plastic case and all, down my
throat.  Smart dog, but I had a split lip.  The button failed to work
for long because the dog soon realized that when he pushed the button
people came over if I didn't answer the phone.  I guess he got lonely
several days in a row.  Since I have done quite a bit of dog training, I
am convinced that an assistance animal could be trained to alert on low
BG's.  My next prospect is just a puppy, but she definitely can tell if
I'm low.  The problem is that she is a bit afraid of me when I'm low.
I'm hoping that I can get around this.  My sisters rottweiler checks me
every morning since my latest incident.  I wonder if there would be a
market for an animal trained in this manner, or if anyone else has had
any luck with this type of training.

Sorry to rant this is a particular interest of mine.
Kimberly