Re: [IP] Calling on the Experienced!

Marti,

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me about a year ago, although I
didn't end up calling the paramedics.  I'd just finished exercising, did a
test, and found that I was at 65 or so, so I ate 15g of glucose tabs and sat
down to rest.  15 minutes later I tested again and was at 50.  Did the
starvation thing and ate every CHO in sight, which was a mistake (I should
have stuck to glucose tabs).  I kept testing every 10 minutes and it
wouldn't come up.  I stayed between 50 and 60 for over an hour, and my
stomach was bulging with the amount of food I'd eaten.  Finally it started
climbing and I ended up over 400 when it got done.

I haven't had this happen since, and the only thing unusual that I could
correlate with it was that the next day I came down with an ugly virus.  My
conjecture was that perhaps the stress that my immune system was
(unknowingly) undergoing somehow affected my liver's ability to convert
glycogen (or maybe it got depleted somehow).

In retrospect, I think I would have come back up quicker if I'd fought off
the 'snarf til you barf' urge and just sucked down glucose tabs and water.
Anyway, it hasn't happened since, although I do watch it pretty closely
after I exercise.

I don't think you need to be particularly gunshy about exercising, but I'd
suggest that you watch the fat content of your lunch if you like to exercise
in the afternoon.  Fat slows down digestion and absorption of CHO more than
protein does, in my experience.  You may also need to decrease your basal
rate for some period of time after the workout, until your muscles have
restored most of their glycogen stores.  Lots of frequent testing after a
workout will give you the info you need to fine-tune it.

HTH,
DanO
--------