Re: [IP] Re: pregnancy

Ted you wrote: "If you're talking about Humalog not being approved for
pregnancy for
instance, so what?"

Ted,
My understanding of the endo suggesting I change insulin when pregnant was
mostly due to the fact that it has not been FDA approved for Pregnancy with
the pump. (Sidebar: I don't know if it has been approved for Pregnancy without
the pump.) IMHO, she is doing at least two things. 1) She has elected not to
put an unborn child into a situation that has not been FDA approved. i.e. as
evident from this list there are still "bugs" to be worked out dealing with
humalog.  2) Covering her a--. If problems arise later regarding Humalog and
pregnancy, I'm sure she would have great difficulty if ever getting insurance
coverage again being that she prescribed a situation that was not FDA
approved.

As is shown with her placing me on Humalog with the pump, she is not afraid of
prescribing drugs or situations she believes in. Being that I have high regard
for her capabilities, I believe I will give great weight and thought to her
suggestion that I change insulin.

To reiterate, I believe humalog is tested enough to use in a pump. I am
willing to be a little of a guinea pig; the risk is to myself. But I have not
decided as of yet, if I wish to place an unborn child in the situation to be a
guinea pig. At this time, I am leaning toward something more tried and true,
that being a different insulin.
    Katie