Re: [IP] Exercise and high bg's

> I was told not to exercise if over 240 - can't remember the reason why, but it
> did have something to do with ketones.
>
> If I start exercising under 160-180, I can bet on crashing soon after the
> workout.
Ok you guys (and gals). The body burns fuel while you work out,
simple solution -- eat a little.

Lily swims competitively in the Spring and plays class I soccer all
year round.

For a swimming workout of one hour of continuous 'gung ho' swimming,
she takes off her pump (no insulin) and consumes and additional 12 to
15 grams an hour. Usually this will result in stable or only slightly
lower blood sugars (maybe 20 points). Nothing a big meal won't fix
that evening.  This is for an 83 degree pool.  In the ocean, skin
diving the carb rate is higher (Hawaii, also 83 degrees). Colder
water increases the carbo requirement dramatically. Recreational
swimming requires NO carbo, just take off the pump - this may even
result in elevated bg's.

Soccer:  Two 40 minute halfs of 'hard' play - running fast and
continuously means little or no insulin and maybe a package of
crackers (two saltine crackers).

Everybody is different, Lily figured this out by doing the exercise
or swimming, as the case may be, and measuring her bg's every 20 to
30 minutes - just a couple of times. This was a couple of years ago.
You adults ought to be able to do the same thing.

Michael
email @ redacted