Re: [IP] Exercise and high bg's

<HTML>
Could it be that if you already have enough insulin in your body (injected
or pumped or something) that the exercise speeds up the action of the insulin
and helps more effectively burn sugar BUT if there is not enough insulin
present the exercise exacerbates the problem?&nbsp; I've thought so for
a long time since I know that once I have taken insulin to correct a high
(even if I take a little less than usual) I can exercise pretty safely,
even with velosulin and even as high as 300-350.&nbsp; I quickly come down
and do fine.&nbsp; BUT if I try any exercise and I'm even 170-180 and have
little or no insulin coming it seems to spell disaster and the hellish
feeling Janet describes.

<P>So, is my theory good?

<P>What do you think?
<BR>Ruth

<P>Janet Wiener wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I figured I'd chime in, since no one else is citing
my experiences with
<BR>high blood sugar and exercise.

<P>Generally, if I'm high due to overeating (i.e., taking too small a bolus
<BR>for the quantity of food), exercise *always* helps. I don't usually
measure
<BR>for ketones, so I don't know if I've had them at these times. What
I do is
<BR>take 1/4 the bolus I would take to bring down my blood sugar without
<BR>exercise -- and then go running, or swimming, or whatever. I'm usually
back
<BR>down to normal within an hour. This was true using Regular for the
10 years
<BR>I did it, both before and with the pump. I don't think I ever started
out
<BR>over 400, but certainly over 300 more than once.

<P>If, on the other hand, I'm high due to a pump malfunction (H not working,
<BR>clogged infusion set, whatever), then I definitely do have ketones
and
<BR>even if I'm only up to 200, I feel like hell. Mostly nauseaus, but
<BR>generally sick. I can't exercise then, and the once or twice I tried
to, I
<BR>went even higher.

<P>Janet
<BR>email @ redacted</BLOCKQUOTE>

[...]