Re: [IP] Exercise

When Bg's are too high for exercise, and ketones are present, counter-
regulatory hormones (adrenalin, cortisol,etc) kick in to assist in  the
gluconeogenesis process--the body's defense mechanism to break down fats and
proteins  to make glucose available for working muscles, adding more ketones
into the mix.  The problem occurs in response to not enough insulin  available
to help working muscles use the glucose (fuel).  Higher BG's also cause more
insulin resistance, so you need extra insulin to get BG's back to normal.
The longer (duration) or harder (intensity) you make the muscles work, the
more fuel you need, and it has to come from somewhere.  If BG's are in normal
range,  working muscle cells are more sensitive to available insulin, so you
need to reduce your basal rate.
           For people without diabetes, when muscles are exercised, the body
automatically reduces the amount of insulin available to make sure there is
enough fuel to be used.
           The amount of CHO per hour of exercise varies depending on total
body weight and the duration and intensity of the activity.  John Walsh's book
Pumping Insulin has an excellent chapter with charts.  As everyone is unique,
you need to keep records to track what is happening with  BG's, so you can
make decisions that won't get you into a low blood sugar situation.  Depending
on duration, type of exercise and intensity level,  BG's can be lower for
12-24-48 hours later.
    Sorry to get so wordy here.  I hope this isn't considered to be a FAQ.
There are more experts than I around. My current resource is Guyton Hornsby,
PhD,CDE, Assistant Professor oF Exercise Physiology,@ WVU Dept. of Medicine.
He is type 1 x31 years and does research is this area of exercise physiology.
       We have one gent that does an hour per day workout.  He takes the pump
off during that time,  works for him, but not the choice for evryone.
        There are members of the International Diabetes Athlete's Association
on this list (I thought I noted that) who may have additional info to share on
this topic.