Re: [IP] Exercise

Lori:

How were your BG profiles prior to pumping, when you exercised?
Did you start with a fairly "flat" BG, drop down (slow and steady, or rapid
and sharp), then come back up, etc?
Are you on Humalog or Velosolin?
How long prior to the start of exercise do you begin a temp basal rate?
Do you use temp basals at all? (I think I remember that you don't use the
temp basal during exercise).
Do you always exercise at the same time, or do you have this problem
regardless of when you exercise?
At any point during the exercise do you feel like you have gone hypo?
Do you eat prior to activity, and if so, what do you eat?
Do you eat during the exercise, and if so, what do you eat?
Have you tried checking your BG levels every 15 minutes during activity -
if so, what are the results?

Ketones can indicate that your body's normal "metabolic process" for
getting fuel ("sugar") to the cells is not working properly, and your body
has started to burn tissue for the energy needed. Ketones are a by product
of that process.

This is an issue that is probably worth discussing in more detail -
personally, I wish I understood more about it. Exercise can be so
beneficial - it's such a bummer when it is not working for you.

Bob

mailto:email @ redacted

<snip>

> I have not heard from anyone yet with ideas about my challenge - starting
exercise with a normal bg and increasing dramatically, up to the ketones
levels.  It happened again yesterday.  Is it possible that it is the
intensity level?  I burn approximately 400 kcal in 26 minutes.  I was doing
the same thing before I got the pump without this much difficulty
(sometimes they went up, but a minor amount and no ketones).  Just to
forestall a possible discussion, I am in very good shape, I have had stress
tests that I passed with flying colors.  Ideas?