Re: [IP] Exercise and high bg's -Reply

I'm going to try to jump in on this one, at the risk of not getting it
completely correct. Please double check me on this:

Generally, the reason the BG is high to begin with is lack of insulin
(either total or partial lack). Your cells still need glucose when you
exercise. If insulin is non - existent, the body will try to metabolize fat
(and muscle?) to derive the energy it needs. One of the byproducts of this
metabolic process is ketones. Not something you want in this situation.

When you exercise, the body "pumps sugar" to fuel the cells. Without the
proper amount of insulin to begin with, BG levels can climb higher during
exercise.

There is an interesting article on this at:

<http://www.bitgroup.com/informedpatient/bluecross/news/exercise.html

It presents a slightly different spin on the viewpoint quoted by Jennifer.
Together, they make for some interesting study.

Sorry I can' t state this with more "conviction" or expertise. For years,
my docs said it was "impossible" for BG to rise after exercise, etc. He was
wrong - mine frequently did.

Bob

mailto:email @ redacted