Re: [IP] hypoglycemia - brain damage

> I have read several articles that indicate that minimal brain damage can be
>  occurring if the blood sugar level drops extremely low.  Does anyone know
if
>  there is any truth to this?  If there is, at what level does it occur?  I
> have
>  tried to find articles dealing with this particualr issue but have only
been
>  able to find a few select articles that deal with minimal brain damage from
>  Hypoglycemia.

Sherri,

I have heard of this too.  The GP I was seeing when I was first diagnosed
indicated that some brain damage occurs when BG drops extremely low, like in
the 20's and 30's.  I've been as low as 35, so this is not something I want to
hear.

Anyway, here is the URL  for the Medline search area.  You can type in search
parameters such as "diabetes brain damage" and it will search its archive of
medical articles from around the world for matches.  I did this and got nine
articles which matched.  You should check them out, but I didn't find anything
very conclusive.  Be sure to check the boxes to expand your search to subject
headings as well as titles and check all the years available.

http://search19.proxy.aol.com:8000/MedLine/MedLine01.html

Hope this helps...

Mary Jean