I came across a picture (might be in the book "Pumping Insulin") which
shows one of the first insulin pumps. It is approximately the size of a
small backpack, mounted on the person's back. There are two controls, one
in each hand (basal and bolus controls?). The person in the picture was
obviously not making any attempt to "hide the pump". I don't know what the
date of the picture is, but it was surprisingly "recent".

The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture was one of the "jet
packs" which were going to revolutionize travel in this century ;-)

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted