Re: [IP] Type 1 - and considering bariatric surgery

A few years ago, a co-worker of mine was a morbidly obese 17-year-old
boy, still in high school. I don't know if he ever had the bariatric
surgery, but he and his family wanted it for him.  He talked a bit to me
about the screening and counseling procedures that were a requirement
before the operation.  Another person who passed through my checkout
lane said that he had had the surgery, had good weight loss, but there
were some foods that he now could not eat.  Not sure if that was by his
own choice or just prohibited by his doctors.

My sister had allergy testing done.  She lives in Canada, but I'm not
certain if their national health service did it, or if she consulted a
naturopath or something.  She's allergic to wheat; maybe I am, maybe I
am not.  We both quit eating anything with wheat in it (that includes
licorice, soy sauce and a few other unexpected places) and we have both
lost over 40 lbs.  Whenever I accidentally eat anything with wheat in
it, I get very hungry. Not good for a T1.  It's much easier to stick to
a low carb, high fat diet without any wheat triggers - plus there are
lots of tasty foods to eat that do not contain wheat.  Have you tried
identifying those foods that trigger your appetite?

Denise Br.