Re: [IP] Kaiser NW - New policy for hospital admittance for pumpers

On 12/28/2013 04:57 PM, Annabella Lewis wrote:

 > "KPNW Hospitalsa have a strong commitment to excellent management of diabetes
&
 > hyperglycemia for patients admitted to our hospitals. ....... Patients who
are
> acutely ill,
>   sedated or in surgery are generally not able to saafely & adequately manage
> their pumps, &
>   most hospital staff are not familiar enough with pump therapy to take over
> managing &
> troubleshooting your pump"
>
> I agree with most of the above. But it goes on:
>
>   "In most cases you will need to disconnect your pump upon admission to the
> hospital & give
> it to a family member for safekeeping"

Annabelle,

I had two "outpatient" surgeries and a hospitalization for a possible
concussion within the past 15 months. All three were at the KP hospital
in Anaheim CA. The surgeries required full anestesia. In all three cases
I wore and used my pump full time and managed my testing, basils and
boluses myself. We used my meter and I provided the nurses with the
readings for their records. I actually had to teach several of them how
a pump worked.

The only time I removed the pump was for an MRI. I did have to consult
with both the surgeon and anesthesiologist about settings and infusion
set placement to insure it would not be in the way. I totally refused to
allow any insulin treatment by staff when I was awake. I did have the
anesthesiologist administer insulin during the first surgery as I went
extremely high (following the instruction of the so called endo who gave
me the pre-op physical and had me cut my basils by 60%) After that I set
my own routine for the second surgery with no corrections needed.

The same held true for non-surgical hospitalizations for staph
infections at   St Joseph Hospital in Orange CA, and I again had to
provide info of BG readings and insulin dosages for bolus to the nursing
staff.

Feel free to ask any other questions about this if you wish.

Best wishes,

Siles