Re: [IP]T:slim - a report

Jeff,

Several times, I've filled a cartridge and took the filled cartridge and
popped it in when my catridge in my tslim runs dry.  This is what I do.
1. Open a new cartridge
2. Open a new syringe
3. Use the syringe to suck all of the air out of the cartridge. (this is
a key step or you will bust the cartridge when you fill it with insulin)
4. Fill syringe with insulin and then fill cartridge.
5. Place filled cartridge with new tubing in a ziploc.

When I need to replace the cartridge this is the procedure.
1. Find a quite bench somewhere (Not in a bathroom)
2. Start the load process.
3. At the point that it asked to fill insulin, just continue past it
because the insulin is already filled.
4. fill tubing and then reconnect.

I don't prefill days in advance, but I do it quite regularly the morning
that I'm going to change cartridges and I haven't had a problem.

Pumpguy

On 12/19/2013 1:04 PM, Jeff wrote:
> So I graduated from a Ping to the T:slim.  I love the digital interface
> - I can read all of the numbers without my readers.  I love being able
> to enter 36 carbs as"36" and not using the up arrow 36 times.  I like
> that I can enter my meter reading, and add it to my bolus for a snack at
> the same time.
>
> However, as a pumper that used to suck the insulin out of old tubing
> before priming for new tubing,  the T:slim uses more insulin than the
> Ping by design.  If I am facing a day of shopping with 20 units in my
> Ping, I would rewind the pump, attach the needle and handle and refill
> the cartridge adding insulin to the 20 units.  With the T:slim the
> cartridge is not refillable leaving me with a decision.  Throw away the
> 20 units and insert and fill a new cartridge.  Or, take the new
> cartridge, syringe, needle and bottle of insulin and find a public
> bathroom when my pump runs dry.
>
> For me, a full cartridge (300 units) lasts 4.62 days or so. And the
> above decision seems to occur often enough to mention here.
>

> Jeff Gamble
> Big Bay Lighthouse B & B
> P O Box 3
> Big Bay MI 49808