[IP] My endo is encouraging me to get a sensor. I cannot afford a sensor and I know that there must be additional charges besides the machine itself

On  Tue, 17 Dec 2013 Linda Riblet <email @ redacted> wrote:

>  My endo is encouraging me to get a sensor.  I cannot afford a sensor and
I know that there must be
>  additional charges besides the machine itself.  If you have a sensor and
find it and consider it a
>  valuable tool, how do you manage the financing?  I am 71 years old and
have been a T1 for over
>  50 years and got my first pump in 1981.

Linda:

You and I must have similar pump and diabetes histories!

Diagnosed Nov '61 (at age two) and been pumping since Jun '81.

First pump was an AutoSyringe AS*6 (one basal rate fits all) pump -> basal
set by diluting the insulin.

Where did you start?   I started with Dr. B. Robbins in Springfield NJ
(actually was going to him since about twelve)

On original question: I have NOT found any  help (yet) to pay for the
display and monthly sensors.   Don't know which pump you are on but I know
Medtronics at one time had a fun where they would provide a "cushion" for
uncovered, but I think they are only providing the OLD pump (723) for
medicare and others who don't have coverage or ability to pay for the sensor
(not very good).

Would love to get all of us in same boat together and work to get medicare
to cover the sensors - maybe if a few dozen (or a few hundred) wrote in
TOGETHER it would be a LITTLE tougher to "just say no"

Yerachmiel Altman