RE: [IP] Medicare and pump rental.

Siles, think of renting a pump to own, like furniture a Arrons.

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Siles
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2013 7:46 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Medicare and pump rental.

Why would anyone want to "rent" an insulin pump?

I have had 4 pumps since 1999. The first was before I was on Medicare and
was paid in full outright by Secure Horizons. The next came under Medicare
and I had the choice of renting for 13 months before owning it, paid for in
full by Medicare, or an outright purchase. paid for entirely by ME. Medicare
policy was (is?) rental for 13 months ans then choose to continue renting or
own the pump at no cost. My last two pumps were under Medicare and I was not
asked about purchase or rental so I do not know what the policy is. All I
know is I had no cost to me.

Yes, MM as do other company updates their pumps every few years, but
Medicare will pay for a new pump only every five years. An upgrade to a new
model. except as in the case of the Enlite system automatic upgrade for
pumps bought after Jan 2013, would be entirely at your expense.

Every pump I received on purchase was NEW> Referbrished pumps were supplied
as warranty replacements. These pumps go through exactly the same testing
and certification programs as a new pump before being issued (FDA rules).
The Enlite pump is only a software modification to the Revel pump. It had to
undergo a testing and certification program under the FDA as though it was a
brand new pump. This is where the major cost lies.

I have had talks with the Carelink software developers about porting the
program to other operating systems. If so much as ONE BIT (1 or 0) is
changed it must be retested and recertified as a completely new program.

Siles