Re: [IP] Medicare and pump rental.

Why would anyone want to "rent" an insulin pump?

I have had 4 pumps since 1999. The first was before I was on Medicare
and was paid in full outright by Secure Horizons. The next came under
Medicare and I had the choice of renting for 13 months before owning it,
paid for in full by Medicare, or an outright purchase. paid for entirely
by ME. Medicare policy was (is?) rental for 13 months ans then choose to
continue renting or own the pump at no cost. My last two pumps were
under Medicare and I was not asked about purchase or rental so I do not
know what the policy is. All I know is I had no cost to me.

Yes, MM as do other company updates their pumps every few years, but
Medicare will pay for a new pump only every five years. An upgrade to a
new model. except as in the case of the Enlite system automatic upgrade
for pumps bought after Jan 2013, would be entirely at your expense.

Every pump I received on purchase was NEW> Referbrished pumps were
supplied as warranty replacements. These pumps go through exactly the
same testing and certification programs as a new pump before being
issued (FDA rules). The Enlite pump is only a software modification to
the Revel pump. It had to undergo a testing and certification program
under the FDA as though it was a brand new pump. This is where the major
cost lies.

I have had talks with the Carelink software developers about porting the
program to other operating systems. If so much as ONE BIT (1 or 0) is
changed it must be retested and recertified as a completely new program.

Siles