[IP] Medicare, pumps and costs

I didn't want to hijack the other thread so I changed the title some. I
hope that is ok.

This may offend some. It is not my intention to do so. I just need to
vent and rant. Please do not take any of this personally. It is not
aimed at any single person that's part of why I changed the subject. But
I wanted people to know what made me think of this.. not that it just
came out of thin air.

I was just telling my neighbor this this other day... you know it
probably costs them less than $50 to make insulin pumps in China. To
minimize the argument against how much it costs to make each unit, let's
say it costs them $500. How is it that they can mark them up to $5000 or
$10,000 and sell them? Sadly, they resell these things and make a profit
over again. Even Apple, probably the worst offender of consumer markups,
doesn't get that much! How is it that Medicare, or any insurance pays
them? Don't get me wrong, I am glad that insurance does pay for them, we
need them. It begs the question though, where are consumer groups,
consumer protection agencies or even the government saying this is price
gouging and you can not get away with it?

Just having a moment, ignore me if you need to. :)

Louree