RE: [IP] New Affordable Care US health plans will exclude top hospitals

This was the ACA  and the hospitals. Not Insurance Companies.

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Stacey Martin
Sent: Monday, December 9, 2013 10:43 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] New Affordable Care US health plans will exclude top
hospitals

I can't read the article because I won't pay for it, but...

 Beginning? My old Oxford plan excluded the top regional hospital in my
area.
Had nothing to do with the ACA or rationing, only to do with insurance
companies and hospitals not agreeing on a contract.

A couple of thoughts:

Nothing limits access to health care more than not having insurance.

 Health insurance that most people have had for the last 20 years or more
-HMO, PPO, EPO, etc., always has had things it doesn't cover, doctors not in
the plan, preferred medications, etc.

 Rationing means that you can only have x amount of something. There is
nothing in the ACA that prevents anyone from going to whatever doctor or
hospital they want or buying whatever and however many test strips they
want, etc. It just may not be paid for by insurance. Those with lots of
money will generally have better insurance with better coverage and will
have more money to buy what insurance doesn't cover.

 Is it rationing that not everyone will have the same? Be careful of your
answer, since if you say it's rationing and rationing us wrong, then you are
advocating for universal health care - Medicare for all! (And even then
those with more money will probably have better care).

 Cars are rationed according to price, as are houses, sneakers, food, etc.,
etc., etc. if it's so awful that health care is rationed by price, then
let's do away with private insurance altogether. But that wouldn't do away
with rationing since there would likely still be secondary and supplemental
plans.

Stacey

Stacey M

Sent from my iPad