 From: Stacey Martin <email @ redacted>
To: "email @ redacted" <email @ redacted>
Sent: Monday, December 9, 2013 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] New Affordable Care US health plans will exclude top
hospitals

I can't read the article because I won't pay for it, but...

Beginning? My old Oxford plan excluded the top regional hospital in my area.
Had nothing to do with the ACA or rationing, only to do with insurance
companies
and hospitals not agreeing on a contract.

A couple of thoughts:

Nothing limits access to health care more than not having insurance.

Health insurance that most people have had for the last 20 years or more
-HMO,
PPO, EPO, etc., always has had things it doesn't cover, doctors not in the
plan,
preferred medications, etc.

Rationing means that you can only have x amount of something. There is
nothing
in the ACA that prevents anyone from going to whatever doctor or hospital
they
want or buying whatever and however many test strips they want, etc. It just
may
not be paid for by insurance. Those with lots of money will generally have
better insurance with better coverage and will have more money to buy what
insurance doesn't cover.

Is it rationing that not everyone will have the same? Be careful of your
answer, since if you say it's rationing and rationing us wrong, then you are
advocating for universal health care - Medicare for all! (And even then those
with more money will probably have better care).

Cars are rationed according to price, as are houses, sneakers, food, etc.,
etc., etc. if it's so awful that health care is rationed by price, then let's
do
away with private insurance altogether. But that wouldn't do away with
rationing
since there would likely still be secondary and supplemental plans.

Stacey

Stacey M

Sent from my iPad

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/994951f8-5e71-11e3-8621-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2mz3