Re: [IP] New and hoping for a pump.

It's not stupid at all. I don' t think I have had ANY tests to determine
what type I am. I am fat, therefore I am type 2, right? I don't think my
current endocrinologist would order them because she seems to discount
everything I say. Even before I knew I had a tumor, I asked her if I
might have a hormone problem and she immediately said no and didn't
order any tests. My CDE though is great even though she works for the
lady.  I wonder if she would order the tests without consulting the
endo.  I personally wonder if I'm not late onset type 1 and have for a
long time. I don't understand why doctor's don't get that we have been
in our bodies longer than they have been practicing medicine.

My nephrologist today confirmed he thinks I have a pheochromocytoma. It
is a very rare hormone releasing adrenal tumor. Mine is producing more
than 3.5x the upper limits of normal noradrenalin, which does play a
role in glucose control, although I am still not exactly sure how.  He
is referring me to a urology surgeon.  I am a little concerned that this
surgeon is a urologist and not an endocrinologist. We are after all,
dealing with hormones. I guess when I meet him, I will have to ask him
his experience with these tumors.

I did talk to my endocrinologist about the results of my blood tests for
this tumor and she just shrugged and said she saw them before I asked
her and "it's because I smoke". (Yes I am actively trying to quit, its
very hard even more so when you have tons of adrenalin in your system)
She wouldn't give me the time of day to discuss it or anything.  I have
blood tests from a few months before when I was smoking the same amount
on the same exact dosages of the same meds and the levels were right at
the edge of high normal. I don't think her "smoking" explanation stands
ground very well, nor do I find anything in scientific literature that
supports that.

I may have to switch endocrinologists or at least get a second opinion
with another. If I do leave that would mean also leaving my CDE. :(  So
sure send me along the name of a good endocrinologist. I am in the
Phoenix area.

On a good note I did get an email back today from the Charles Ray III
Diabetes Association asking for my prescription and saying they would be
glad to help me with a pump. Calling my CDE when she is open this
morning to make sure that gets done today or tomorrow. :)