[IP] RE Pump failure?

Dianne said:

Greetings-
 I want everyone to understand that the hospital ER "took my pump away" in the
sense that they wouldn't let me use it in the hospital. They did NOT remove it
from my possession.

  I was not able to contact my doctors or CDE yesterday for help - outta town
for
the holidays, but I could see some other internist MAYBE. Finally I decided to
keep my BG at 150+ and called Minimed this morning. The helpful tech walked me
 through a number of tests, used my data. We determined that until I get a CGMS
should check my BG more often. My company only allows me 6 per day. I use about
4 knowing there are times (like now) when I'm checking every 2 hours. I am
asking my doctor to call my insurance company request more strips AND a CGMS.
I'll send it certified mail to ensure my doc, not his nurse, receives it.

 Thank you all for responding. Your support made getting my blood pressure back
to normal. This is the best group as I know you know what I'm going through AND
you can help me navigate the murky waters of stone age comprehension of so many
in the ER.

 Anything else I should tell my doctor? His staff tell me he has no phone, no
email or any other way of hearing from me... It makes me mad they think I
believe them...

I'm putting my pump back on this afternoon.  I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again.

Dianne De Mink

  Dianne De Mink, with Type I Diabetes for over 42 years, is working on a book
on
diet and nutrition.

 If I understand correctly, Dianne, the ER doctors told you to stop using your
pump because they felt it was the culprit for your lows.

Here is my 2 cents:
 While I understand taking your pump off while in the ER to shut the doctors up
and so you can go home, I myself, would have reconnected the pump as soon as I
got home and then called my pump company to make sure the problem was not the
pump itself. I have had 8 surgeries since getting my pump 3 years ago and one
other hospital admission. I have found that NONE of the doctors or nurses in the
hospital (ER or otherwise) had a clue about my pump. At least one nurse got in
my face about how she'd have to change my site and I informed her that I took
care of that myself. My hospital records from my recent admission indicate that
the internist on rounds (who is in the same practice group as my internist, who
suggested the pump to me and put me in touch with an endo. who deals with pumps)
wrote down that I had had a surgery to implant my pump. !!!! But, at least he
wrote orders that I was allowed to manage my diabetes with my pump myself. And,
whenever the nurses came in with their huge Accu-chek meters and lancets to do a
blood sugar, I just took it myself on my meter and showed them the number.

 I know hindsight is 20/20 but keep in mind that you likely know more about how
to control your blood sugars with your pump than the medical professionals
involved.

 Have you checked your basal rates lately? Did you exercise more or eat less
than usual? Those are the things you might want to look at for why you went so
low.

 Do you only test before meals? Do you not eat snacks? Just curious since I test
7-10 times a day on the pump with a CGMS; pre-CGMS I was testing 10-12 times a
day (sometimes 14 times). ( I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day - it's all part of
the diabetic meal plan that I worked on with the nutritionist.) Thankfully, my
endo. wrote a prescription for up to 12 strips a day.

 Remember that CGMS will not replace you keeping track of what is going on.
Medtronics says that CGMS is for trending, not actual numbers. I find that my
numbers may match my CGMS once or twice a day, at best. And the trending doesn't
happen at all during my initial 12 hour calibration period after I put in the
sensor. AND I find that the CGMS rarely catches my lows before I do, when I'm
awake. I shake and hot flash when I start going low so I usually test then and
find my CGMS has no clue I'm going low. But then, Medtronics points out that
interstitial fluid lags behind finger sticks by 15 minutes. I got CGMS because I
was going low at night and it does help me catch those before I wake up shaking
and incoherent.

 Again, just my two cents. I'm just trying to throw out there how to deal with
this type of situation if it should come up again.

 Also, if you can't get hold of an endo. or CDE to help because of the holidays,
you might want to consider switching doctors since they really ought to have
someone around to help you and other pumpers out.

Padma Bending
Illinois