RE: [IP] Morphea

Hi Mary Ann,

 > I have morphea, an autoimmune skin disease.
 > [...] I'm getting worried that I won't have
 > good skin and subcutaneous tissue to keep
 > the pump going.

do you have deep morphea (morphea profunda, subcutaneous morphea),
or plaque morphea? The former does affect the fat layer into which
the cannula is supposed to go. For the latter, the sub-q layer is
probably OK, but I do not know how the dermis would respond to
getting stuck with an adhesive patch.

For severe deep morphea, it seems that suppression of the body's
inflammatory response is called for -- that means partial
immunosuppression, and high-dose steroids. (Oh joy.)

Other treatments, such as low-dose UV treatment (UVA1 band)
potentially help; for plaque-type morphea, some topical agents
show potential for improvement. Plus, plaque-type morphea often
fixes itself over a few years.

 > The dermatologist doesn't "get it"--she
 > thinks I'm worried about the cosmetics.

As for your dermatologist, is she a cosmetic dermatologist? Either
way, you may want to ask your local hospital -- the ER folks may
have a list of general dermatologists they refer to.

Cheers,
Felix.