Re: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V8 #622 - sweet tooth

At 11:41 PM 12/30/2004, email @ redacted wrote:
>At a conference several years ago I saw a presentation about the "taste"
>  preferences of newborns (who had not ingested anything since birth).
> Guess what
>they were:  Sugar, Fat and Salt! We're all born with some combo of these
>  preferences, so don't feel guilty, just find the best ways for you to
> manage it
>"healthfully!" ;}
>
>Diana - managing as best she can!
>.

And, some tastes are learned.  For instance, I've watched many children eat
gobs of sugar on cold cereal.  I was raised without sugar on cereal since
my sister was diagnosed with diabetes before I was and sugar became
relegated to the back of the cupboard in those days.  I never gave my
daughter sugar on her cereal or bought her the sweetened cereals when she
was little.  One morning after a friend's sleepover, she watched her friend
put spoonfuls of sugar on her cereal.  So, my daughter tried it also.  She
ended up pouring the sweetened cereal down the sink.  She told me later she
couldn't understand how her friend liked it since it tasted awful.  She
also once begged for a sweetened cereal, Strawberry Shortcake or something
like that.  She tried it once and I ended up throwing the box of uneaten
cereal out.  Even now as an adult, she never puts sugar on cereal and
neither do I.  We prefer it with just milk.

RoseLea