Re: [IP] MM Billing Practices (was Profits?)

At 9:27 PM -0600 12/27/04, George wrote:

>No specific figures on Profit, those might be extrapolated from
>Medtronics Annual Report.  And there are some comments in that Report
>that would be of interest to every Minimed user. (2.4 Mb)
>
>     http://www.medtronic.com/annual03/MDTpf04AR.pdf

In particular, these comments on page 30:

"Fiscal year 2004 selling, general and administrative expense as a
percentage of net sales decreased by 0.1 percentage point from fiscal
year 2003 to 30.8%. The slight decrease in selling, general and
administrative expense as a percentage of net sales is due to
continued cost control measures in all businesses, partially offset
by incremental reserves related to MiniMed's uncollectable accounts
receivable, which increased $42.7 million in the current year, as
well as our continued investment in the sales force to keep pace with
growing business opportunities. A portion of the additional allowance
for doubtful accounts relates to sales made prior to the acquisition
of MiniMed. We continue to make investments in MiniMed's distribution
infrastructure to ensure that the billing and collecting processes
can be increased as needed to support the growth of the business and
remain committed to controlling costs through the implementation of
cost control measures in all of our businesses."