Re: [IP] bundle of nerves

Hi, Dawn

Yes, there is a lot to learn with pumping and it can be intimidating at first
glance.  That said, it is about as hard to learn as it first was when you were
first diagnosed and had to learn about what to eat, when to eat, when to test,
what to do when you were sick, how to give a shot, where to give your shots,
possible low and high blood sugars and what to do for them, etc.  You did it
then and you can do it now.

 Your pump class will help you with all this stuff, and as far as your
specific worries, you will leave the pump class knowing how to insert a set
and with a programmed pump with beginning basals and boluse ratio (carb to
insulin ratios) set up for you.  It usually takes a few months of
experimenting (with the help of your doctor and/or CDE) to make sure the
settings are fine-tuned to your body before it settles down, but I promise you
that it gets easier and more automatic.

I don't know if you've ever given yourself a shot (or taken a pill) and then a
few hours later couldn't remember if you'd done it or not because it was so
automatic.  One of the advantages of a pump is that it keeps a record of what
you did and when, and you can look up your history and know for sure that you
did or did not bolus for breakfast.

In my experience (dx'd at 12, on shots for 35 years, pumping for 4), it takes
some getting used to, but once you do the pump simplifys life to an amazing
degree.  You can eat what you want when you want (weight issues play in here,
though) and you don't HAVE to eat on any kind of strict schedule.  I was 47
years old before I could sleep in if I wanted to without having to get up, get
my shot, eat, go back to sleep, and I found that extraordinarily awesome!  I'm
sure for other people there are other aspects of pumping that they appreciate
more, but for me, not HAVING to eat particular stuff at a particular time has
made life much less anxiety-inducing.

So I'd say, go for it!  I think you'll be glad you did.

YMMV (Your mileage may vary),
Take care,
Kathy