Re: [IP] Total Nutrient Counting

Thanks to all who responded to my question about the Total Available
Glucose method of computing boluses.   And I'm glad to know the correct
name as that makes it alot easier to search the web for info about it!

I have used Animas's ezManager for about 2.5 years (even when I was on
MDI), but I never used the protein feature.  I wonder why they don't
have a similar feature for fat?

I just discovered the Calorie King's Diet Diary and I am in the process
of switching over to that because their food database is a bit better.
I can't believe their Diabetes Log software which integrates with their
Diet Diary software doesn't do the TAG formula for me!

I also looked at Pocket Software's Diabetic's Insulin Manager, but it
doesn't look like it runs on Palm OS, which is what I run on my handheld.

The formula that I'd really like to see available in all these software
applications is this one, where all of the %'s are configurable and the
insulin to glucose ratio is configurable by time of day.

[ ((gCHO - gFIBER) * %CHO) + (gPRO * %PRO) + (gFAT * %FAT) ] / (insulin
to glucose ratio)

Mike, you asked about how the TAG method would affect the bolus/basal
percentages.  I don't know, but it makes sense to me that your
bolus/basal percentages wouldn't change, but your insulin to glucose
ratio (the number you divide everything by) would change.  I say this
because your basal needs should be independent of what you eat and your
overall bolus needs don't change as a result of your "accounting
practices".  I hope that makes sense.  It is hard for me to explain in
email.  Again, I don't know, that is just what makes sense to me.

The idea about bolusing immediately for the CHO component and extended
over time for the PRO and FAT components seems like a really good idea.

Anyway, I think I'm going to try this when I get my software set up.
I'll let you all know how it goes.  Thanks for all the great info everyone!

Rebecca
Type 1 since 4/84
Animas 1200 pumper since 11/04