[IP] Re:Sick Days (was insulin-pumpers-digest V8 #622)

At 9:25 AM -0800 12/28/04, Ivy Randel wrote:
 > I have a question about sick day[s] on a pump, I just recently went through 4
>days where I could not keep anything in. How do you adjust your pump for times
>like these. I use 4.1 units per hour and my bolus is 16,20,16. I did
>not change
>anything because I could not get information with changes from medical people
>who do not know anything about pumps in my area. Can someone give me some
>information in case this ever happens again. My BG stayed with in the normal
>range.

If your Bg stayed within range, then that was the correct procedure
for that illness.  Your illnesses and symptoms may vary.  Typically I
have to UP my basals when I can't keep things down to avoid DKA.
You indicate a basal rate of 4.1, so I am going to assume (yeah, I
know!) that you are Type 2.  You may not have the problem with DKA,
but you can go hyperglycemic.   YMMV

George