[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V8 #621

Rebecca my endo has prepared a book containing more than 10,000 items, their
serving size, carb content, protein and fat content.  The foods are listed
down the left side of the page, followed in a horzintl line are the nutrients
followed by constants from 25 down to 2. Mine happens to be 15. The actual
formula then becomes:
Insulin dose = [(gCHO+(gPRO*0.5)+(gFAT*0.25)/15   Then a meal containing 30
grams carb, 20 grams protein and 20 fat grams would be 30+10+5=45/15= 3 units
of insulin to cover that meal.  The figures I use are a bit lopsided, but I
wanted things to come out even.
He will not sell this book to non-patients of his. His CDE uses it in
training his patients and then they give it to you or bill your insurance.
B.W. diabetic since 1958, pumper since 2000