Re: [IP] Re: DKA Advice

It sounds to me like you did all the right things. I'm sorry you both
had to go through that. I know from personal experience how scary that
can be!

We've been extremely lucky with Shannon's episodes, I guess. Shannon's
experiences were just like that (all due to a site coming out during the
night and/or not delivering insulin properly), where she woke up
vomiting (or was very nauseous w/stomach ache and vomited later), with
headache, bgs off the meter, and large ketones. We are always aggressive
from the get-go - 20% of TDD of insulin by injection every 2hrs until it
resolves (frequently monitoring ketones [usually urine, sometimes blood]
and bgs of course, and adjusting dose accordingly), and pushing clear
non-caloric fluids. Thankfully, hers has always turned around within
4-6hrs, however, there *have* been a couple of times where I was
considering the ER but, at the last minute, things finally turned (I
always keep our endo informed and updated about what's going on when
these things happen and I would definitely go if he advised it). Our
endo always said she didn't have DKA (even though she was very sick each
time) but was on the verge of it (I guess he said that because she had
mild DKA at dx and was MUCH sicker than this, admitted to ICU for it. I
think the difference was in how much she was dehydrated at dx vs these
other times. It sounds like your daughter was very dehydrated.)

I don't think there is anything more you could've done to prevent going
to the hospital. Once things start going down that slippery slope,
things can take a rapid turn for the worst. I'm glad she is better now!

Kel said:
my daughter Shelby 12, woke me up at 5am this morning throwing up, her
site
had come out. We changed the site, gave a shot. drank lots of fluid and
after
awhile went back to sleep, woke up around 7:30, throwing up again. b/s over
500.  change insulin, do another shot. still coulnt get b/s down. She
was not
sick by  the way. Took to the ER, they gave her IV's and her b/s came down
within a  couple of hours. What did I miss?
  DX July 03
Kel

--
Take care, Kerri in western WA