[IP] Re: I am so very lucky

> I have been type 1 since 6/66 and pumping since 1/80. I have seen many
posts
> concerning some of the dreaded complications associated with
Diabetes.<snip> My question is
> this, why do some people suffer from these problems so much quicker than
others. <snip>

We often see people on the list brag that they have no complications. That's
like bragging one has chosen the right parents and the others did not. ;-)
I think I have good genes since I am from a line of long livers (g'grandpa
was 100, g'pa almost 93, mom 87, g'ma 86, father is 90,) and it took me 51.5
years to submit to dialysis. I have had other complications that have been
handled. There was a time I could not understand why a DMer had to quit work
because of the condition, but that was before any comps hit *me.* Now I can
understand. We should not take any of this for granted. I went over 30 yrs
with 1 shot a day of 2 mixed insulins and pee tests. No A1c's then either. I
know I had poor control.

At year 39 w/DM I was told since no sign of retinopathy by then, I would
have none. It hit at year 43. We just cannot take any of this for granted.
YMMV

Jan (46 y/o if you don't count the weekends), dx'd T-1 11/5/50, pmpg
8/23/83) & Bluda II (MM508 8/31/04)
http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics (and EVOLUTION OF INSULIN PUMPS with
World's Youngest Pumper)

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard. ~ Steven
Wright
I know there are no lifeguards in the gene pool, but there ought to be at
least a few sharks in the water.