[IP] PocketPC & Carb Databases

Mark Wrote:
  For my New Year's Resolution,  I am finally making the long overdue
change from using a fixed bolus amount with a correction scale, to
counting carbs and using the appropriate bolus amount.  Can anyone
recommend a good program with an expanded database of carbohydrate
counts in various foods, including fast foods (a program which I can
use on my PDA in Pocket PC format)?

Ricardo Responds:
Mark, being on the PocketPC platform you have  at least one of the
handicaps for diabetes data management since the Palm Platform has so
many more options. I share your handicap along with a second handicap
of being on the Mac platform.

For the Pocket PC try www.twopeaks.com where you can find Personal
Health & Diet Manager. It has a decent database to tell you the
calories, carbs, fat, protein & fiber in different foods. If you are
going to count carbs you might as well count calories since they are
usually in the same database and will tally without any extra effort.
You put in your height, weight, gender and age and it will calculate
how many calories you need to lose or maintain your weight.  It also
has a commercial link to select from its database of fast foods. The
database is editable so you can add your own foods.It includes the
option of entering any exercise you do and will subtract  its energy
expenditure from your daily caloric needs. There is a Windows desktop
version that allows you to sync with the Pocket PC.

It isn't a bad program but I have written to the authors to make it
more useful to diabetics. I wish it would total all the items you eat
in a meal to tell you the total carbs as well as the carbs in each
item. The program is usually rated very highly each year by Pocket PC
Magazine.

CalorieKing does total the carbs in a meal. CalorieKing.com also has a
PPC version of its software but I did not like how the handheld version
worked. With a WiFi enabled PPC or GSM/ GPRS card you can wirelessly
link to calorieking.com and use the full featured web version.

Ricardo
Dx'd 1967, Pumping since 1/14/2004 w/ Animas IR1000 and since 7/2/2004
w/ the Animas IR1200