[IP] Deltec Comes Through In A Pinch!

Fellow IP'ers:
Thought I'd quickly relate a story about customer service coming through
in a pinch:

Last Wednesday morning my 9.5 y/o pumper came downstairs for breakfast
and said the battery on the BG meter portion of his CozMonitor needed
replacing.  He'd helpfully removed the battery...and lost it.  After
figuring out that no where on the monitor does it say what kind of
battery it took, I had him hook up without it and manually input BG's
like before.

As soon as he gave his bolus, the pump went "stupid" and told us, via an
annoyingly constant beep that the pump had failed.  I replaced the main
battery and tried to restart the bolus.  No luck, same failure mode
after starting the bolus.  So-o-o-o, called Deltec/Smith's customer
service, who happen to be about 150 miles south of us in the
Minneapolis-St. Paul area.  Nice lady answered, told us that the pump
would have to go home and a replacement would be there the next day.  I
asked about the advertised "same day" replacement that Deltec/Smith's
mentions in their literature and got a "we don't do that" reply.  What?
After being notified at 7:15 a.m., with 6 flights a day into our town
from Minneapolis?  Out of her authority, so she told me she'd transfer
me to her supervisor...and promptly hung up on me.

A little steamed, I tried to get back in touch and got into "Your call
is important to us" waiting hell...with Christmas songs!  Finally gave
up, knew my child had eaten very few carbs and that the partial bolus
would cover it (and he'd been 85 before eating.  Took 20 minutes to get
big brother to High School, came home, started the 512 we use as
"emergency back up" (after a *lot* of help from M-M customer service
{Thanks M-M!}) and started calling again.  After about 3 calls, got
through to a supervisor who said that they don't do same day delivery.
Hmmmm, you talk about it as a possibility, you've even told us about it,
you even write about it.  So I confirmed with her that they indeed do
NOT do same day delivery, so I could post it here on the site as,
essentially "false advertising." (I don't remember using that term, but
she got the drift)

Oh, did I mention I suggested they send a new monitor portion of the
pump, just in case the monitor somehow caused the initial fault?  "Oh,
we don't do that; we trouble shoot one item at a time."  OK, so what if
the replacement pump fails due to a bad monitor?  How many days does he
go without a CozMonitor until he does get one?  Doesn't make a whole ot
of sense to me, BWTHDIK?  I reiterated that this would all be showing up
on I-P, that this would be the 6th Cozmo in 18 months we'd had (that
took her aback a bit) and the call ended.  "OK," I remember thinking,
"we've got the 512, we won't need to do IM, the pump will show up the
next day and we can hope the monitor doesn't crash it."

20 minutes later the phone rings: It's Smith's, asking if I'll be home
that afternoon; miracle of miracles, they somehow found a way to get the
pump 150 miles up the Interstate!  Long and the short of it: Pump
arrived at 12:30 p.m., and by 3:30 p.m. my son was back on his
CozMonitor, fully programmed and rocking.

So lessons learned:  A) Given enough "encouragement", people will do the
right thing.  B) Never, ever underestimate the power of
insulin-pumpers.org; just the mention of this great place gave someone
pause to reconsider;  C) Yes, Smith's-Deltec can do same day delivery in
some circumstances and I thank them for that.

Biggest frustrations: 1) But for the fact that my beloved spouse was out
of town for the day, I could have flown down to St. Paul in under an
hour in our own plane and been home before 12:30 p.m.   But that would
have left my pumper without a parental back-up in case the M-M went
stupid, too.  2) Why did this have to end up in a fight to get people to
do what their sales department and field reps say they can do?

But all's well that ends well, so I say "Thanks, Deltec; you did the
right thing!"

Regards,
Andrew, Dad to Eric (dx'd 9/25/00, pumping since 5/08/01)