[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V8 #607

In a message dated 12/20/2004 2:15:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

But this  is a
poor practice.  The need for a meter is to get a reading right  away.  A
refrigerated meter would either not work (Error code) or give  an inaccurate
reading if used directly out of the ice box.  And you  would not want to wait
for it to warm up before you used  it.

I know, I couldn't believe that they had stored it in the fridge.  The  meter
and strips were supposed to be in a bin that goes out to the field  whenever
they have outdoor activity, as the field is a bit away from the main
 building. I am thankful that he never needed that meter, because not only would
they
not have been able to use it, they would have had to send someone to  the
 school building to get it out of the fridge. A totally useless situation. When
he goes back to school I will have to rectify this.   He is not the only
 diabetic child at school and if they are storing everyone's meters this way
then
they certainly need to correct it. When I asked his  coach about it he just
stared at me blankly.  This man is supposed to  be able to administer Glucagon
too.

Thank you for the input about the meter, this is what I was afraid  of.  I
wasn't sure if the blood traveled into the meter or not.  At  least I know now
that if someone needs to use his extra flash meter that it will  be ok to do
 so. My son uses his cozmonitor, but I have the extra meters available because
no-one at school is comfortable with handling his pump  in an emergency.
After this situation with P.E.  I am actually glad  of this!!

Alida